ask Dave a question and he'll answer
send questions to asknursedave@gmail.com

Monday, April 4, 2011

When is it that doves cry?

Nurse Dave,
Have you ever listened to Prince's "When Doves Cry"? In the second verse he sings:

"Touch if you will my stomach
Feel how it trembles inside"

What could be going here? I mean, my thinking here is that something may be wrong with Prince's stomach, and that these tremblings are symptoms of a serious illness.

Could you shed a little light on this? It's been on my mind for a while.

Thanks.

Bill, Slinger, WI


Bill, I'm touched by your concern for Prince. Initially I thought that Prince could be suffering from some kind of electrolyte disturbance like hypocalemia or hypernatremia. Both of these disturbances can cause the sort of muscle twitching Prince seems to be describing and can be potentially serious if not corrected. Chvostek's sign is a sign of hypocalemia and can be caused by flicking someone in repeatedly the face. So I would suggest Prince get somebody to flick his face or a get simple blood lab done.

But then I looked at the next line in the song, "You've got the butterflies all tied up." That makes the issue seem a little deeper and more mechanical to me (potentially an obstruction). So the first step for Prince would probably be to get a colonoscopy so that a doctor could get a camera up in there and really check out what's happening. The doctor could see if there was any diverticulitis happening, see an obstruction or maybe even correct the problem right then and there. But really before I say any more about this I'd want to know if there's any blood in Prince's stool.



On a side note my favorite Prince song is 1999. And another side note it turns out that Prince is a little crazy when it comes to video clips of his. His people remove anything by him from youtube so that link could already be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment