ask Dave a question and he'll answer
send questions to asknursedave@gmail.com

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pimples?

Dear Nurse Dave,
Should I pop my zits or should I just leave them alone?
Paul, Duluth MN

Paul from my personal experience I generally pop the zits that are ready to go. I don't try to force the issue. I just make a basic assessment and if it is time to take care of the issue I do it. Sadly this continues to be an issue into my early thirties. I thought once you hit thirty there was moratorium on further skin problems. This is unfortunately incorrect.

But the real professional advice is to never pop a zit due to the fact that it can cause scarring or actually make the infection worse. Acne.com has this advice for the proper popping of a zit. They basically say don't pop the zit unless there's white showing and don't force the issue. Acne.com also recommends using a needle. I'm not going to say I agree with that particular advice. I knew a guy once with a bad zit that had the bright idea to use some needle he found to pop it. He of course didn't sterilize the needle ended up with a bad infection and grew a bad goatee to cover it up.

Really Paul, its about patience. The acne is going to clear up. If it doesn't go see a doctor. And if your thirty and still have acne I'm not sure what to tell you (really I don't know, let me know if you've got an answer).

No comments:

Post a Comment